In the wake of the Yale slaying, the Daily Beast ranks America’s safest colleges. The rankings rest on crime rates from 2006 to 2007, at schools with at least 6,000 students and some on-campus housing. The results:
- New York Institute of Technology: Located in a quaint Long Island suburb, NYIT didn’t have a single reported crime.
- Farmingdale State University: Primarily a commuter school, this New York institution was virtually crime-free, with three vehicle thefts and one rape.
- Grand Valley State University: Nine rapes, but no other reported crimes, make up the Michigan school's crime stats.
- Indiana Wesleyan University: This Christian college scored well on every sin other than burglary, reporting several petty thefts.
- Idaho State University: It’s in Pocatello, the self-proclaimed “Smile Capital of the World.”
To see the complete list of 25 schools, click the link below.