Film can stimulate romance like few other artistic mediums—but some films turn that power on its head. Nerve lists the worst date movies ever made; here are 10:
- Dead Ringers. David Cronenburg's hallucinatory flick in which Jeremy Irons portrays identical twin gynecologists who create new gyno tools for "mutant women" is...well that about says it, doesn't it?
- In the Company of Men. A film to make you hate relationships—Aaron Eckhart breaks a deaf woman's heart for the fun of it, for starters.
- Audition. A man uses a fake casting call to interview potential girlfriends—and one girl makes him pay for his callousness, big time.
- Irreversible. Begins with a ridiculously gory murder, then features an unflinching 9-minute rape scene.
- I Spit on Your Grave. A '70s splatter movie made famous by Siskel and Ebert—who devoted a segment to slamming it—in which a rape victim exacts brutal revenge on her attackers.
- Happiness. Each character in this film by Todd Solondz is uniquely empty, not least the guy who rapes his 11-year-old son's classmates.
- Fat Girl. A chubby 13-year-old spends the family vacation watching her pretty older sister getting seduced by an Italian Casanova—until the tragic ending.
- The Last Woman. Gerard Depardieu tries to cure his depression by cutting off his man-parts. It doesn't work.
- Baise-Moi. A rape victim and a hooker take revenge on the world by sometimes seducing and always killing many strangers.
- Rosemary's Baby. Roman Polanski is not known for his romantic side, and this film, about an actor who pimps his wife to the devil for a career boost, shows it.