In honor of Amelia’s celebration of the tough girl, James Brady Ryan of Nerve takes a look at the top 10 sexy tomboys onscreen and off:
- Nancy McKeon as Jo Polniaczek, The Facts of Life: Her entrance (on a motorcycle) and eventual career choice (police officer) speak for themselves.
- Ellen Page: The Juno star grew up climbing trees and playing with action figures, and she did her own roller-derby stunts in Whip It.
- Sara Gilbert as Darlene Conner, Roseanne: Sardonic, athletic, and brash, “she delighted in gross-out humor and tormenting her siblings.”
- Mia Hamm: “She’s been called one of the most influential athletes of the nineties and into the twenty-first century, and for good reason.”
- Joan Jett: “Jett could blow out your eardrums, drink you under the table, and take you home all in one night.”
- Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica: The cigar-loving fighter pilot “easily wins the honor of most badass chick in the Colonial Fleet.”
- Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley as Jess Bharma and Jules Paxton, Bend It Like Beckham: “The girls’ athletic prowess and close friendship leads to more than a few allegations of lesbianism.”
For the complete list, click the link below. (Read more Amelia Earhart