Caster Semenya Will Return to Competition
Coach says she'll run even as gender inquiry continues
By Nick McMaster,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 13, 2010 6:37 PM CST
This Aug. 20, 2009, file photo shows South Africa's Caster Semenya displaying her gold medal after the ceremony for the women's 800m final at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin.   (AP Photo)

(Newser) – The South African runner at the center of a controversy over gender plans to return to racing next month. Caster Semenya, the women's 800-meters world champ, will run in a few local races in advance of a return to international events, her coach tells the BBC. The move comes despite a continuing inquiry into her gender by the IAAF, the world sports governing body.

"Last year there were obviously problems and she was not able to compete in some of the big events," coach Michael Seme told Johannesburg media. "But this year is different." While a spokesman for Semenya's attorney's took a more guarded approach, saying that "all the parties are still in negotiations," Seme insisted he is "sure" she will run.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
0%
9%
45%
18%
18%
9%