Lockerbie Bomber Still Alive
Three-month life expectancy was only an approximate, says Scot minister
By Polly Davis Doig,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 15, 2010 5:43 PM CST
Libyan Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who was found guilty of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing but released from Scottish prison on compassionate grounds, at Tripoli Medical Center, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2009.   (AP Photo / Abdel Magid Al Fergany)
camera-icon View 3 more images

(Newser) – Scotland caused international outrage when it released Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi to Libya on compassionate grounds because he had only three months to live. That was six months ago. While the convicted terrorist continues to call Scotland twice monthly as per the terms of his parole, Justice Minister Kenny MacAskill was scrambling to back off the 3-month window as an approximation as early as last month. Victims' relatives aren't amused.

"It has almost become comical," says one man who lost his brother aboard Pan Am Flight 103. "I have to laugh that he has to phone in that he is following his probation terms. This is a complete insult. Shame on Scotland. Shame on the White House."
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
40%
9%
7%
33%
4%
7%