Blackwater at Fault, US Military Finds
Military version of events differs radically from Prince scenario
By Lucas Laursen,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 5, 2007 7:06 AM CDT
Plainclothes contractors working for Blackwater USA take part in a firefight as Iraqi demonstrators loyal to Muqtada Al Sadr attempt to advance on a facility being defended by U.S. and Spanish soldiers,...   (Associated Press)
camera-icon View 3 more images

(Newser) – The US MIlitary isn't backing security contractor Blackwater's version of the events that lead to the Nisour Square shooting spree that left 17 Iraqi civilians dead and 24 injured last month, the Washington Post reports. The Post compares a military report which finds no evidence that the Blackwater guards were provoked— "It was obviously excessive, it was obviously wrong," a military source says—and a detailed description of the incident  written by Blackwater CEO Eric Prince. 

In prepared remarks that Prince did not deliver during his House testimony earlier this week, he says the Blackwater team "came under small-arms fire," and "continued to receive fire," including fire from some who were dressed as Iraqi police. "Among the threats identified were men with AK-47s firing on the convoy, as well as approaching vehicles that appeared to be suicide car bombers." Prince also said one of the Blackwater vehicles "was disabled by enemy fire."