Malvo Ties 2 Others to DC Serial Shootings
Mayhem planned along entire East Coast
By Mary Papenfuss,  Newser User
Posted Jul 30, 2010 1:17 AM CDT
Updated Jul 30, 2010 7:33 AM CDT
Convicted sniper John Allen Muhammad gestures as he address a judge before his murder trial in 2006.   (AP Photo/Chris Gardner, Pool)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Investigators will grill convicted DC serial killer Lee Boyd Malvo again since he revealed in a TV interview that two other men initially planned to be part of the sniper shootings that terrorized the capital in 2002. Malvo and John Allen Muhammad were convicted of picking off victims with high-powered rifles, killing 10. "There were two other people who were supposed to be involved—but in the end, they ended up backing out," said Malvo, who was 17 when he was busted. "There was supposed to be three to four snipers with silenced rifles, and in this way you could do a lot more damage along the entire Eastern Seaboard."

Malvo made the chilling remarks to actor William Shatner, who interviewed him on the phone for an A&E special on the killings, reports ABC News. Malvo said Muhammad, who was executed last year, killed one of the men when he backed out. DC cops recently quizzed Malvo about a series of crimes that occurred before the killings, and are now preparing to interview again him in his Virginia prison. Malvo told Shatner he was carefully trained by Muhammad to be a cold-blooded killer. "I have either watched someone die or killed someone in so many different circumstances," he said.