North Seizes S. Korean Fishing Boat
Tensions high over sunken destroyer, war games
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Aug 8, 2010 9:39 AM CDT
South Korean destroyer Choi Young fires during a joint military drills in South Korea's East Sea on Tuesday, July 27, 2010.   (AP Photo/Korean Navy via Yonhap)

(Newser) – North Korean authorities seized a South Korean fishing boat and its crew today in waters off the divided peninsula's eastern coast, the South's coast guard said, with tensions already high over the sinking of a southern navy ship. Four South Korean and three Chinese fishermen were questioned for an alleged violation of the North's exclusive economic zone, said South Korea, adding that the fishing boat was being taken toward the North Korea's eastern port of Songjin.

The coast guard said it was not clear where exactly the 41-ton fishing boat was operating when it was seized. South Korea is conducting naval drills off the western coast through tomorrow, including areas near the two countries' disputed sea border. North Korea warned last week it would "counter the reckless naval firing projected by the group of traitors with strong physical retaliation" and advised civilian ships to stay away from the maritime border.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
20%
6%
4%
6%
1%
64%