Massachusetts man Ron Sveden had been coughing for months and was braced for bad news when doctors told him they'd discovered a growth sprouting in his lung. Weeks of tests, however, revealed that it wasn't cancer, but a pea plant that had sprouted after apparently being swallowed the wrong way. Sveden is recuperating after having the half-inch plant removed.
"Whether this would have gone full-term and I’d be working for the jolly green giant, I don’t know," Sveden, 75, told WHDH-TV. He says the experience hasn't put him off peas. "One of the first meals I had in the hospital after the surgery had peas for the vegetable. I laughed to myself and ate them," said Sveden, whose friends and neighbors gave him gifts of pea pods and canned peas when he returned home.