US News & World Report is ready to shock us all with its Best Colleges 2011 ranking, which places Harvard smack dab on top. Again. But—news alert!—Princeton has tumbled from tying the venerable Crimson to No. 2. That list, which you can see here, doesn't wow us quite so much as does another annual list released today: Beloit College's Mindset List, which gives us a snapshot of the realities and events shaping the lives of this year's freshman class, born in 1992. Some highlights:
- The majority don't know how to write in cursive.
- They have never had trouble understanding what a "caramel macchiato" is.
- Clint Eastwood is some guy who directs movies.
- Fergie is a member of the Black Eyed Peas, not the British Royal Family.
- Czechoslovakia has never existed.
- The Post Office has always been basically broke.
for the complete 75-item list (Buffy and Barney and Beanie Babies, oh my!).