A tribute of sorts to Harry Potter: JK Rowling isn't putting out new Potter books, but sales of existing ones still put her in the top 10 of the year's highest-paid authors. (She came in 10th with $10 million.) Read the full Forbes list here, but here's the top 5:
- James Patterson, $70 million: He'll put out 17 more books by the end of 2012.
- Stephenie Meyer, $40 million: Vampires pay.
- Stephen King, $34 million: He's even got a musical in the works with John Mellencamp.
- Danielle Steel, $32 million: Four new hardcovers this year alone.
- Ken Follett, $20 million: His Pillars of the Earth thriller has been adapted to a TV series with Donald Sutherland.