Noel Biderman has a wife and two kids and a stated belief that monogamy is a "failed experiment." But he has to say that, because he created AshleyMadison, the website that caters to people looking for affairs, notes BusinessWeek in a profile. Some highlights:
- Members: The site claims 8.5 million members, of whom 1.3 million have paid for services beyond the free profile (generally to help them communicate with other members). It's available in 10 countries with plans for more.
- Mostly guys: Definitely. When women log on, they're deluged.
- Thanks, Craigslist: Daily visitors to the site are up 13% since Craigslist closed its "adult services" section.
- Good money: Biderman draws a salary in the "seven figures" from Avid Life Media, of which he is CEO. The company is private and is kicking around an IPO, though its line of business makes that dicey.
- What Biderman's wife thinks: "Really, the business itself doesn't match who he is as a person—it's not our lifestyle or value system or any of that. I mean, yeah, I'd love it if he were working on a cure for cancer. But it's a business, and that's how we look at it."
Read the full profile here