Mercury Spill Shuts Down Ohio Daycare
30 kids had to get decontamination showers
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 2, 2011 12:12 PM CDT
File photo of mercury.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – All ended well, but a show-and-tell presentation on mercury turned out to be way more informative than planned for 30 preschoolers. A worker at a Toledo daycare brought in a vintage blood-pressure monitor with mercury inside to show the kids, explains the Toledo Blade. It got left on the floor, then crunched by a rocking chair, causing about a tablespoon of the toxic liquid to leak. All the kids plus five adults had to go through decontamination showers at the local fire department, but everyone checked out safely afterward. The daycare is closed until cleanup is completed.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
15%
41%
4%
4%
1%
35%