Reno Crash Toll Hits 9; Feds Investigate
7 died on the tarmac; 2 at hospitals
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Sep 17, 2011 3:29 PM CDT
A P-51 Mustang airplane crashes into the edge of the grandstands at the Reno Air show on Friday, Sept. 16, 2011 in Reno Nevada.   (AP Photo/Ward Howes)

(Newser) – The death toll in the terrifying crash of a World War II-era plane during a Reno air race has risen to at least nine people, including the pilot and eight spectators, authorities said today. The deaths include seven who were killed on the tarmac and two others who died at hospitals, Reno Deputy Police Chief Dave Evans said. The new death toll was announced at a briefing with local and federal investigators. Authorities previously said that three people had perished in the crash.

Investigators said they were examining the site, gathering information about the crash at the edge of a grandstand area yesterday. Authorities were encouraged by the large number of photos and videos available to them. National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Terry Williams told the AP today that a team has arrived from Washington to join regional officials. He said it's too early to say what caused the crash, though event organizers suggested a mechanical problem.
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
0%
6%
4%
71%
2%
17%