American companies should sleep with one eye open: These firms may not be familiar right now, but they're poised to "reshape global industries," the Boston Consulting Group says. CNN lists 10 standouts, based on BCG's 2008 Global Challengers report.
- Johnson Electric (China): Produces small motors designed for cars and home appliances.
- Tata Group (India): The world's sixth-largest steel company.
- Grupo Bimbo (Mexico): A bakery with 5,000 products under 100 brand names.
- Petrobras (Brazil): Makes ethanol car fuel from cheap sugar cane.
- Severstal (Russia): Steel producer expanding into the US market.
To see the complete list, click the link below.