One thing is certain: Donald Trump has no shortage of self-esteem. In his new book, out this week, he takes credit for making Lady Gaga "a big star," hypothesizing, "maybe she became a star because I put her on the Miss Universe Pageant. It’s very possible, who knows what would have happened without it, because she caused a sensation. … I really believe I had at least something to do with it." More from Time to Get Tough: Making America #1 Again from Politico, the Washington Post, and USA Today:
- On his endorsement: "The Republican field has several good candidates in the race—most of whom have come to see me at my office in Trump Tower. The reason they come to see me isn’t just because I am a nice person but because millions of people listen to what I say and know I 'get it.' Some magazines have said I am the single most important endorsement a presidential candidate can have. I don’t know if that’s true but it wouldn’t surprise me."
- On Osama bin Laden: "It’s wonderful that we got him, but what sane person would have decided otherwise? Why does Obama get so much credit? I know that’s not politically correct to say, but if somebody can explain that to me, I would be very grateful. Our military deserves all the credit, not Obama."
- On the president's mockery of him at the White House Correspondent's Dinner: "While I shouldn’t admit this, I don’t mind being the center of attention, especially on such an evening. I loved it!" he writes. "I didn’t quite know how to react. Should I be laughing? Smiling? Frowning? I wasn’t sure so I decided to keep a straight face, with a few little smiles every once in a while because I knew the cameras were on me."
- On Rick Perry: "Every time I speak to him he is so forceful and strong that I have actually said to him: 'Rick, why can’t you act this way during the debates?' He said, 'Donald, the debates are just not my thing.' So I said, 'Why don’t you pretend you are someplace else? You gotta act different. You are getting killed in the debates.'"
- More choice quotes about himself: "I was quickly No. 1 in the polls." "I am a ratings machine." "It is very hard for a truly successful person to run for office."
In interviews with all three publications, the Donald did not rule out re-entering the presidential race as an independent, and even went so far as to say he would consider an independent run if he doesn't like the Republican nominee.