Slain Journo Was Supposed to Leave Syria Yesterday
She was working on a story, explains her mother
By Kate Seamons, Newser Staff
Posted Feb 22, 2012 11:04 AM CST
This is an undated image made available Wednesday Feb. 22, 2012 by the Sunday Times in London of journalist Marie Colvin.   (AP Photo/Sunday Times)

(Newser) – A heartbreaking addendum to the story of Marie Colvin, the American working for Britain's Sunday Times who was killed in Homs today. Her mother tells Newsday that Colvin was due to leave Syria yesterday but opted to stay one more day. "She had a story she felt was very important," said Rosemarie Colvin, who called her daughter "absolutely dedicated to doing what she did at the highest level. To argue with Marie, that would have just been a waste of words."

Newsday paints the picture of a remarkable woman, a Yale grad whose work has taken her to Kosovo, Chechnya, Iraq, and Sri Lanka, where she lost her eye in a grenade attack. "She had a peculiar knack for getting tyrants to talk," writes longtime friend Christopher Dickey for the Daily Beast. "Marie really was the greatest war correspondent of our generation. She took extraordinary risks and got extraordinary stories year after year, decade after bloody decade. There is no substitute for the correspondent who goes and sees for herself what is happening, and tells the world in exact, dispassionate, irrefutable detail."

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Slain Journo Was Supposed to Leave Syria Yesterday is...
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Showing 3 of 8 comments
Feb 22, 2012 3:27 PM CST
Oh, poor Cyclops! Blind in one eye, and couldn't see well out of the other.
Feb 22, 2012 2:09 PM CST
sure wish we could go in and blast that Syrian army away.RIP Marie
Feb 22, 2012 1:24 PM CST
"Syrian forces may have murdered Marie Colvin after pledging to kill 'any journalist who set foot on Syrian soil', it was claimed today. Communication between Syrian Army officers intercepted by Lebanese intelligence staff has revealed that direct orders were issued to target the makeshift press centre in which Colvin had been broadcasting. Reporters working in Homs feared the Army had 'locked on' to their satellite phone signals and targeted the buildings they were coming from. Abdu al-Homsi, an opposition activist, confirmed that the Army had cut phone lines into the city and were bombing any buildings where they detected mobile phone signals." The Syrians knew that if they destroyed the press centre, then there would be no more information coming out of Homs. Read more: