What are the 10 best movies since the year 2000? Richard Corliss at Time rounds up the greatest film achievements of the millennium so far. Here's a sampling:
- 10. The Artist, 2011: A "delightfully inventive comedy" and "sustained cinematic inspiration" that rightfully deserved its best-picture Oscar.
- 6. The Hurt Locker, 2009: This "acutely nonpartisan" war flick had a "fresh, revisionist vision" and was helmed by Kathryn Bigelow, "a smart director of gritty action films."
- 4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 2000: Ang Lee assembled three stars from three eras to create "a movie of gravity and buoyancy, of high art and higher spirits. It's contemplative, and it kicks ass."
- 2. The Lord of the Rings, 2001-2003: Hugely and riskily expensive epics that employed "vision and daring" to make them "among the most satisfying achievements of the new millennium."
- 1. WALL-E, 2008: Pixar's animated feature has "technical wizardry," "digital sheen," plus a "love story as pure as any in the cinema's first 100 years."
Read the rest of the top 10 here