NYPD Stopped, Frisked 8.6% of City in 2011
In some places, up to 98% of those stopped were minorities
By Kevin Spak, Newser User
Posted Feb 5, 2013 12:29 PM CST
Police officers moniter a silent march to end the "stop-and-frisk" program in New York, Sunday, June 17, 2012.   (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

(Newser) – The NYPD detained the equivalent of 8.6% of all New Yorkers as part of its controversial "stop and frisk" program in 2011, and almost all of them were minorities, according to a statistical breakdown the department released last night. All told, police stopped a record 685,724 people, and nearly 90% of them were either black or Hispanic, the New York Post reports. Only 9% were white and 4% Asian. In many places, the racial disparity was even worse. In the two precincts that saw the most stops, Brooklyn's 75th and 73rd, 97% and 98% of cases, respectively, involved blacks or Hispanics.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
NYPD Stopped, Frisked 8.6% of City in 2011 is...
7%
4%
21%
32%
20%
17%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 56 comments
nostereotypes
Feb 6, 2013 12:31 PM CST
"almost all of them were minorities' Well clearly we need some program to encourage more white people to look/act as though they may be carrying an illegal weapon. It is very disturbing that the white population is under represented in these numbers.
right2dave
Feb 6, 2013 6:47 AM CST
Mostly blacks?
viva_yo
Feb 5, 2013 9:20 PM CST
They also neglected to add that of all the people NYPD stopped & frisked, 88% were innocent of any wrongdoing & most of the remaining 12% were guilty of only minor, albeit fine-able violations. What a monumental waste of everyone's time. People had to take a day off from work to report to court. The lines to get into the courts wind around the block; I've never seen anything like it. NYPD spends so much of their time with this nonsense & their summons quotas, they've no time to do anything about REAL criminals. NYC, where the innocent are stopped, frisked & fleeced & the felons run free. http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-03-07/news/the-nypd-tapes-confirmed/