Did you vow to eat healthier in 2008? Start by adding whole grains to your diet with these these 10 tips from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:
- When a recipe calls for white flour, use half white flour and half whole wheat.
- Add ½ cup of cooked bulgur, wild rice, or barley to bread stuffing.
- Add ½ cup of cooked wheat or rye berries, wild rice, brown rice, sorghum, or barley to soup.
- Use whole cornmeal for corncakes, corn breads, and corn muffins.
- Add ¾ cup of uncooked oats for every pound of meat in recipes for burgers or meatloaf.
- Stir oats into yogurt for a healthy snack.
- Buy cereals that include kamut, buckwheat, or spelt.
- Make risottos and pilafs with barley, brown rice, bulgur, millet, quinoa, or sorghum.
- Choose whole-grain salads such as tabbouleh.
- Buy whole-grain pasta and breads.