Athlete Bit by Snake Goes for a Run, Dies
Australian didn't realize it was poisonous, went for a jog
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 26, 2013 1:50 PM CDT
The king brown, or mulga, snake.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – A field hockey player has died after being bitten by a venomous king brown snake in Australia's tropical north and proceeding to go for a training run. Karl Berry, 26, was cleaning up around an athletic facility in Darwin on Tuesday when he picked up a snake, thinking it was a non-venomous python, and threw it into bushes, say local newspaper reports. Berry, captain of the Commerce-Pints hockey team, was bitten on the hand but did not realize the bite was poisonous and embarked on his run.

He later collapsed, and an ambulance manager says Berry was conscious when paramedics arrived—but took up to 15 minutes to mention he had been bitten by a snake. He died Wednesday. "He had gone for a two-kilometer run, which pumped the venom around his system much faster," says the ambulance official.

Copyright 2016 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. AP contributed to this report.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Athlete Bit by Snake Goes for a Run, Dies is...
8%
4%
57%
3%
18%
11%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 20 comments
BinThereDunThat
Apr 27, 2013 11:20 AM CDT
How can you live in Australia and NOT know which snakes will kill you and how quickly? The fact that Australia is, mile for mile, the deadliest place to live would make me VERY aware of what creatures could kill me!
hidflect
Apr 27, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
The most poisonous thing here in Australia is the office gossip.
Ladyhawke1043
Apr 27, 2013 9:33 AM CDT
ANOTHER reason to not visit Australia, or any other place with such venomous critters! There are no venomous snakes or spiders where I live and I ain't wandering!