Baby Dies After Eating Detergent Packet
7-month-old might be first such death in the nation
By John Johnson, Newser Staff
Posted Aug 16, 2013 11:02 AM CDT
   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – A Florida baby might be the first in the nation to die from ingesting a packet of laundry detergent, reports the Orlando Sentinel. The 7-month-old Kissimmee boy ate the packet after plucking it out of a laundry basket and immediately went into distress. Michael Williams died later at the hospital, though it will take weeks to confirm the cause of death. The child and his mother had been staying at a shelter for battered women.

Kids can confuse the laundry pods for candy, and awareness of the danger has been growing for a while now. (Procter & Gamble changed its design last year.) Nearly 6,000 young kids have been sickened this year alone, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, but this would be the first death reported if confirmed. "People are not listening to the warnings," one poison-control official tells AP.

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Baby Dies After Eating Detergent Packet is...
4%
1%
69%
1%
16%
8%
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Comments
Showing 3 of 44 comments
Rational.-Anarchist
Aug 18, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
IF whoever was in charge of taking care of this child had actually been WATCHING him, it wouldn't have happened.
proegge
Aug 16, 2013 10:55 PM CDT
A 7-month-old doesn't mistake it for candy. A 7-month-old puts EVERYTHING in its mouth. This is a tragic accident that probably happened in mere seconds. I feel sorry for the poor mother, who obviously already had a tragic life, even before this happened.
carson
Aug 16, 2013 6:29 PM CDT
tragic...but at 7 months it could have been any little thing...i understand the shelter probably does a lot of laundry and it is a convenient product...they should maybe avoid bright colors and use a bittering agent coating in its production