Hoarder Dies When First Floor Collapses
Conn. woman buried under junk she collected
By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Jun 16, 2014 1:01 AM CDT
Updated Jun 16, 2014 5:30 AM CDT
Junk stacked inside the home of a Las Vegas hoarder.   (AP Photo/City of Las Vegas via Las Vegas Review-Journal)

(Newser) – A Connecticut woman died under the junk she had spent many years amassing when the weight of it all caused her home's first floor to collapse. Police found the body of 66-year-old Beverly Mitchell on Saturday after a letter carrier warned that mail had been piling up at her home for more than a week, the Cheshire Citizen reports. After determining the building was structurally unsound, investigators had to cut into the side of it. They began to remove debris using a backhoe, and her body was eventually found in the basement, where it had been buried when the first floor fell in.

Police believe Mitchell had been dead for at least a week. The clutter that filled her home was "just junk," a police spokesman tells Reuters. "She just never threw anything away. Mail, packages, bottles, lots of papers, newspapers, magazines, you name it. Piled to the ceiling in most rooms. There was a waist-high layer in the room she had been living in." He says social services had offered to help her many times, but had been rebuffed. "It's unfortunate because ... we've tried all along to get her assistance, but she was a very private and solitary lady," he tells the AP. (Click to read about the unusual case of a San Francisco rat hoarder.)

More From Newser
My Take on This Story
To report an error on this story,
notify our editors.
Hoarder Dies When First Floor Collapses is...
Show results without voting
You Might Like
Showing 3 of 40 comments
Jun 16, 2014 9:49 PM CDT
Friend of mines father was a hoarder. When his father died. I offered to help clean up the farm. Took us a week just to clear the land around the barns. Used a backhoe on the house. Only thing holding up the house was the junk. 90% pure useless junk.
Ezekiel 25:17
Jun 16, 2014 9:26 PM CDT
We found a lady dead in her home from smoke inhalation. Part of her house burned. She was then trapped by all the crap stacked up against all the doors. We then did a very fast Project Life event with the Red Cross in her neighborhood. We found other cases that were not as bad.
Jun 16, 2014 10:48 AM CDT
As they always say....at least she died doing what she loved.