The ever-pricier euro is sending determined travelers east, past the Eiffel Tower, to overlooked treasures like Prague's Old Town Square. Check out cheaper, Eastern European must-sees as recommended by Forbes:
- Peterhof State Museum-Reserve, St. Petersburg, Russia: These palaces and 18th-century gardens rival those of Versailles.
- Plitvice Lakes National Park, Plitvice Lakes, Croatia: Nature lovers can camp among 16 lakes, a dozen waterfalls, and 140 species of birds.
- Opera and Ballet Theater, Odessa, Ukraine: Modeled after Vienna's State Opera, catch productions of Carmen or Aida from a crimson velvet seat.
- Wieliczka Salt Mine, Wieliczka, Poland: Carved biblical scenes line the rock-salt walls of this 3,000-chamber mine.
- Old Town Square, Prague, Czech Republic: Famous for its historical monuments, scale this square's Old Town Hall Tower for a killer view.
- Lake Bled, Slovenia: Ride a small pletna to this lake's island, locate the church, ring its bell three times, and have your wish granted.
- Berat Fortress, Berat, Albania: 13th-century colossus encompasses preserved Byzantine churches.
- Castle Hill, Budapest, Hungary: A cluster of historic buildings with killer views.
- Lancut Castle Museum, Lancut, Poland: 17th-century new-Baroque castle with Orthodox art collection.