For 10 agonizing minutes, you think you've lost it: You're sweating and dizzy, your heart is racing, and you can't breathe. More than 25% of people experience the complete lack of control of a panic attack. Fight back with these tips from MSNBC:
- Remind yourself that a panic attack cannot harm you.
- Tell others what you're experiencing.
- Pack a Xanax-like pill. Just knowing you have one can prevent attacks.
- Tense your muscles for 30 seconds to force blood to your head.
- Do something familiar, like cleaning, to distract yourself.
- If you absolutely can't shake it, go to the ER.
- Know that it's normal to feel anxious for a day or two after.
- See your doctor just to check in and run through your symptoms.