Nutella Jar Blamed in House Fire
Investigators in London say empty jar caught sun's rays
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 25, 2015 5:14 PM CST
The jar in question was empty at the time, say fire investigators.   (Shutterstock)

(Newser) – London's firefighters say sun rays refracted by a Nutella jar likely caused a house fire. Investigators believe the glass jar—which had been emptied of the hazelnut spread—had been placed on a window sill and refracted sunlight, setting blinds alight. According to a statement posted by the brigade, the family was not at home, but the blaze killed a dog. "It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire, but that's exactly what happened," says an investigator.

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
19%
16%
4%
4%
22%
35%