Despite early reports that three US hostages were freed in Yemen yesterday, authorities now say just two have arrived in Oman, which negotiated their release. Shiite Houthi rebels chose to keep a third US hostage in custody; he's identified only as a 35-year-old Muslim convert who had been in the country teaching English, reports the Washington Post. The released hostages, Scott Darden, 45, and Sam Farran, 54, were flown to Oman where "the US ambassador to Muscat and a consular official met them upon arrival and will provide all possible consular assistance," says a National Security Council rep. "I am speechless," says Darden's wife, Diana Loesch. "I am really thankful for all the diplomatic efforts."
Darden, who helped move humanitarian supplies for Louisiana-based Transoceanic Development, and Farran, a security consultant and former Marine from Michigan, were seized in Sanaa on March 27 while reportedly trying to make their way out of the country amid a Saudi bombing campaign against the Houthis. They were released alongside a British citizen and three Saudis after Oman says the US government asked for help, reports the New York Times. The Times notes the Houthis in general "appear to have treated those they detained more like prisoners of a foreign government than hostages." John Kerry says the US government "will continue to work tirelessly to pursue the release of all Americans detained abroad unjustly, including those who remain in the region," per CNN. (Read more hostage stories.)