Lawsuit: 'Most Interesting Man' Is 'Least Honorable'
Former talent agency calls Dos Equis ad star a deadbeat
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Oct 3, 2015 7:47 AM CDT
A driver in Washington state tried to get in the carpool lane with this 'Most Interesting Man' cutout.   (AP Photo/Washington State Patrol, Trooper Tony Brock)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – Jonathan Goldsmith doesn't always get sued but when he does, it can get nasty. The actor best known for portraying the "Most Interesting Man in the World" in Dos Equis ads is being sued for breach of contract by his former talent agency, which claims he has stopped paying commission on the roughly $1 million a year he makes from the ads, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "There is nothing interesting about being a deadbeat or failing to pay those directly responsible for one's career success," the complaint says. "As it now turns out, had Goldsmith landed a role that more accurately portray[ed] his true character, he would have landed the role of 'The Least Honorable Man in the Entertainment Business.'"

Goldsmith's former manager at Jordan Lee, Inc. says Goldsmith, who got the Dos Equis job in 2006 stopped paying the 10% commission a year ago because he felt he had paid "enough," TMZ reports. The lawsuit says the actor's relationship with the agency changed after the agent who got him the role—and is now his wife—left the company, per the Reporter. Goldsmith, whose acting career began in the 1950s, returned to acting and auditioned for the "Most Interesting Man" role after another lawsuit destroyed the business he left Hollywood for, he said in a Forbes interview last month. (In his spare time, Goldsmith has been trying to eliminate landmines in Cambodia.)