Ohio Murder Victim Was Threatened on Facebook
Christopher Rhoden Jr., 16, received the threat
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 25, 2016 5:45 PM CDT
This aerial photo shows one of the locations being investigated in Pike County, Ohio, as part of an ongoing homicide investigation, Friday, April 22, 2016. Several people were found dead Friday at multiple...   (Lisa Marie Miller/The Columbus Dispatch via AP)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – A new development in Ohio: One of the eight family members killed in a horrific mass slaying had already been threatened on Facebook, CBS News reports. The threat was directed at Christopher Rhoden Jr., who at 16 was the youngest of the victims. "I'm aware of the Facebook threat," says Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. "Every piece of information is valuable and our investigators are certainly taking that into consideration." Now Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader has told surviving Rhoden family members to be careful. "I cautioned them, told them we will be there," Reader says. "I told [them] to be armed."

One surviving family member says the Rhodens are "torn up" about the killings. "And you know what I mean, kinda freaked out because we don't know," says the relative, who asked not to be identified. "There's still killers on the loose, or killer." The slayings happened in four rural homes near Piketon, Ohio, a town of about 2,200 where the Dogwood Festival on Sunday had a smaller-then-usual turnout. "People are scared to come out," says a resident. "What if that person who shot all those people is running around here." Now autopsies of all eight victims have been completed, News Net 5 reports, and a chart of the Rhoden family relationships can be seen here. (Marijuana-growing was found at three of the four murder sites.)