Blind Man Sues McDonald's Over Drive-Thru Policy
La. man says he was turned away, laughed at
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 1, 2016 3:50 AM CDT
Magee's lawyer says getting late-night fast food is a "quintessentially American activity."   (AP Photo/Seth Perlman, File)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – McDonald's "no pedestrians at the drive-thru window" policy tramples on the rights of blind people who want late-night fast food, according to a Louisiana man's lawsuit. The federal lawsuit filed by Scott Magee argues that since many McDonald's outlets only have drive-thru windows open late at night, and blind people can't drive, the chain is violating the Americans With Disabilities Act by banning pedestrians, NBC News reports. Magee, who is seeking class-action status for the suit, says he was laughed at and turned away from a McDonald's in a New Orleans suburb last year when he tried to order from the drive-thru while on foot. "This lack of accessibility to the blind is particularly offensive given the sophistication and size of McDonald's Corporation," the lawsuit states.

Magee's lawyer tells the Chicago Tribune that getting fast food late at night is "a quintessentially American activity that should not be denied to someone because of their disability." McDonald's that have drive-thrus open only at night should install outside phones to allow disabled customers to place orders and have their food brought to them, he suggests. The Tribune notes that Magee's brother Emmett, who is also blind, was represented by the same lawyer when he sued Coca-Cola last year because he was unable to use one of the company's vending machines. The case was thrown out, but he's appealing. (McDonald's lawyers also have a rogue outlet in rebel-controlled Ukraine to deal with.)
 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
8%
7%
3%
13%
1%
68%