6 Kids Found Unresponsive on Hotel Pool Deck, 1 Dead

Carbon monoxide leak is to blame
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Apr 1, 2017 4:08 PM CDT
Stock photo.   (Getty Images / 400tmax)

(Newser) – Authorities say a carbon monoxide leak at a southwestern Michigan hotel has killed a child and sickened about a dozen other people, including other children and several police officers, the AP reports. WNDU-TV and WSBT-TV report that officials at Lakeland Hospital in Niles confirmed the child's death Saturday. No other details about the child were released. Quality Inn & Suites employees called 911 at around 10am after seeing six unresponsive children on the pool deck. Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise says a high level of carbon monoxide was detected in the pool area and lower levels were found in other parts of the hotel. Three police officers and two hotel employees also were hospitalized. Officials are trying to find the source of the leak. (Read more carbon monoxide stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |