Tragedy struck a Brooklyn family over the weekend when a father and son died of drug overdoses at a birthday party. Police say Joseph Andrade, 44, and his son Carlos, 22, told family members they were stepping outside for a cigarette when in actuality they were going to snort a mix of heroin and fentanyl, an opioid 50 times stronger than morphine, the New York Post reports. Carlos, who had driven up to Brooklyn from Maryland, was discovered by his girlfriend, Jasmine Santos, as he asphyxiated in the foyer of his father's building around 3am. Joseph was found outside the building on 27th Street.
Emergency responders administered Narcan, a medication that blocks the effects of opioids, to the two men and took them to NYU Langone Hospital, but they died within an hour of being found, the New York Daily News reports. Joseph Andrade is a reputed addict but several witnesses expressed surprise at his son's involvement. “I’m so surprised because I know Carlos, and I never know that he used drugs or anything like that," Jasmine Santos' uncle Yovanny said. New York City officials say 1300 people died from overdoses last year, 90 percent of which were caused by heroin or fentanyl. (Read more heroin stories.)