'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer

John and Susan Cooper suddenly got sick and died at Egyptian hotel
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 25, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
Shrink
camera-icon View 2 images

(Newser) – A British couple that died unexpectedly at an Egyptian hotel may have fallen victim to severe food poisoning, the Sun reports. To recap: John Cooper and his wife Susan Cooper, both in their 60s and described as "fit and healthy," died Tuesday while vacationing at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada. Now British vacationer Paul Vanstone, 41, says he and his family suffered diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps after being served raw chicken at the hotel, and another traveler says his daughter was "on her knees with food poisoning" after staying there. "What we had this time was far worse than we've ever had in Egypt," says Vanstone. "We've been four or five times. It could be chicken, it could have been the water, it could have been anything that you can get salmonella from." For more:

  • "The food is just disgusting, it's undercooked. I know so many people have been ill," says Alison Cope, a traveler from Birmingham, UK. "Half the time we don't know what it is and can't eat it because it's raw in the middle. We've spent almost two weeks at a five-star hotel eating bread and chips because we at least know what it is."

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
3%
4%
22%
1%
63%
7%