McCain’s pre-buttal to Obama’s clinching speech last night didn’t go down well on either side of the press corps aisle. A sampling of the negative reactions, via Huffington Post:
- Obamacan Andrew Sullivan laughs off Mac’s joust at Dem divisions, and says his “opening gambit in the general election was…underwhelming.”
- Lefty blogger Atrios can’t believe the bright green background which made McCain “look like the cottage cheese in a lime jello salad,” calling the aesthetics “dreadful.”
- National Review-er Mark Levin grumbled at Mac’s inconsistency: “This speech is a mash and tough to digest.”
- Josh Marshall, another top Dem, found a partisan rubric to judge: “Here's how bad it is. All the Fox commentators are giving competing explanation for why McCain's speech sucked."
- GOP consultant Alex Castellanos: “Last I checked this was not a speech-making contest, thank God.”