Sure, Bart Simpson could fake it at Scrabble—but for those of us playing against a wit sharper than Homer's, here are some gems Mental Floss magazine dug up that actually mean something:
- Cwm: A valley created by glacial shifts.
- Adz: An axe-like woodworking tool.
- Xu: The currency of Vietnam.
- Zax: This sci-fi-looking boon to the board is a tool used in roofing.
- Aa: "Basaltic lava having a rough surface."
- Qua: An adverb meaning as, or as being.
- Suq: The marketplace in an Arabian city.
- Qat: A plant native to East Africa and Arabia.
- Jo: A term of affection meaning "sweetheart."
- Qadi: A judge of Islamic law.