Tom Brady’s season-ending injury sent shockwaves through the NFL —and not everyone was celebrating. Don Banks breaks down the winners and losers in Sport Illustrated:
- Winner: The Chargers —The Patriots always seem to knock San Diego out of the playoffs.
- Loser: The NFL —The league loses its face, and reigning MVP.
- Winners: The Bills, Jets, and Titans —The other AFC East teams now have a dramatically better chance of taking the division, while the Titans’ wildcard hopes improve.
- Loser: Bill Belichick —“The Genius” was 5-13 before Brady.
- Winner: Matt Cassel —Gets an offensive machine for his first start since high school.
- Loser: Colts/Patriots rivalry —With Indy also looking sorry, Week 9 could be a snoozer.
- Winners: Patriots running backs —Likely to see more carries in post-Brady world.
- Losers: Patriots receivers —Without Brady, no one is matching last year’s numbers.