Election coverage and reports on the financial crisis ate up much of the media's attention in '08—while some major news stories went under-reported. Time runs down the biggest:
- A Pentagon gaffe accidentally sent nuclear warhead fuses to Taiwan in 2006; the mix-up was noted this year—by the Taiwanese.
- The Congolese civil war steadily intensifies, displacing 1 million people; cholera epidemics and refugee camp overcrowding are concerns.
Also making the cut were:
- Rising violence in Sri Lanka takes more lives than fighting in Afghanistan this year.
- Bailout bill slips in a provision—12 years in the making—that forces insurers to cover mental health as equally as physical health.
- FDA guidelines for genetically engineered meat (omega-3 stuffed pigs, anyone?) favor food companies over consumers, and fail to demand labels identifying the meat's origins.
For more, click the link below.