With The Hangover hitting theaters today, New York magazine looks at the high points of the insane genre the “Las Vegas movie” has become.
- Swingers: The blackjack scene is probably the best anti-Vegas-glamour-scene ever.
- The Amazing Colossal Man: This B-movie features the second-best scene in which Vegas is destroyed ...
- Con Air: …and this one, the best.
- Casino: The Joe Pesci character puts a guy’s head in a vise—and squeezes.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Johnny Depp’s character trips so badly, he sees his fellow bar patrons as dinosaurs. “I was right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo. And someone was giving booze to these goddamned things.”
- Showgirls: The orgasm scene that ends the movie and, effectively, Elizabeth Berkley’s movie career, must be seen to be believed.
To see the complete list, click the link below.