Surprise! Celebrities do, occasionally, use Twitter to break actual news. Don’t believe it? USA Today lists some examples:
- Paula Abdul: Bid adieu to American Idol before an official statement was released.
- Ryan Seacrest: Told the world Ben Silverman was out at NBC before NBC did.
- Elizabeth Taylor: Declared she wouldn’t be a part of the “public whoopla” at Michael Jackson’s memorial service.
- Ivanka Trump: Announced her engagement to publisher Jared Kushner.
- Jane Fonda: Told the world she was having knee surgery moments before going under.
- Lance Armstrong and Kimora Lee: Both used Twitter to announce their sons’ births.