Hofstra Student Recants Gang Rape Claim
Four men released from jail after accuser admits sex was consensual
By Sarah Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 17, 2009 12:05 PM CDT
Kevin Tavares, Stalin Felipe, and Rondell Bedward, three of the men accused of rape at Hofstra, talk to a reporter after they were released from Nassau County Jail in East Meadow, NY, on Wednesday.   (AP Photo/Frank Eltman)

(Newser) – A reported gang rape at Hofstra University wasn't a rape after all, the local DA says. The accuser "recanted her claims against the five young men," a school official told students in a text message. The four men who had been charged—and publicly identified—were released from jail last night, Newsday reports. The 18-year-old accuser hasn't been identified.

"The alleged victim of the sexual assault admitted that the encounter that took place early Sunday morning was consensual," the DA said. Students say they feel bad for the men, one of whom goes to Hofstra, because their mug shots were posted online and in newspapers. "The young man's life is still going to be ruined," one freshman said. "The girl lied about a serious thing."