N. Korean Hackers Steal US War Plan They grab 11-page file off unprotected thumb drive By Kevin Spak, Newser Staff Posted Dec 18, 2009 9:13 AM CST 23 comments Comments South Korean computer hackers compete during an information security olympiad at the National Assembly in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, July 10, 2009. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man) (Newser) – North Korean hackers may have made off with secret documents outlining American and South Korean military plans in the event of a North Korean attack. Last month, officials discovered that a South Korean officer had downloaded the plan, codenamed Oplan 5027, on an unsecured thumb drive, and that his computer had been accessed by a hacker with a Chinese IP address, reports the South Korean paper Chosun Ilbo. Such addresses have been used in the past by North Korean hackers. Oplan 5027 is set to be replaced soon, but the new plan will still be based on it, a retired general says. “Our conceptual framework has been laid bare if it’s true that Oplan 5027 has been leaked,” he said. The plan reportedly calls for the deployment of 700,000 US troops in the event of an attack. But South Korean officials downplayed the incident, telling the Guardian that the file was a brief, with little sensitive information.