S. Korea to Haul N. Korea to UN Over Ship's Sinking
Pyongyang remains defiant; report an 'enormous fabrication'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 23, 2010 6:54 AM CDT
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton waves as she steps down the ramp of a plane at Haneda international airport in Tokyo, Japan, Thursday, May 20, 2010.   (AP Photo/Shuji Kajiyama)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – South Korea will take Pyongyang to the UN Security Council as part of its response to the sinking of a South Korean warship blamed on a North Korean torpedo attack, officials said today. An international team said last week that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo on March 26, tearing apart the 1,200-ton Cheonan and killing 46 sailors on board. North Korea called the investigation results a fabrication and warned any retaliation would trigger war.

Tomorrow, President Lee Myung-bak is to address the nation to define the tragedy as a "clear armed provocation" and disclose his resolve to take "stern" action. In general, punitive measures might include economic sanctions and adopting a statement condemning its acts. Lee will also announce that South Korea will take all available "strong countermeasures" if North Korea engages in additional provocations, an adviser said. A major North newspaper today threatened to "crush" South Korea, calling its Cheonan report an "enormous fabrication."

 

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
10%
0%
17%
34%
17%
21%