angioplasty

3 Stories

Doctors Giving Too Many Angioplasties

Study finds common heart treatment overused

(Newser) - Doctors are performing too many angioplasty procedures on patients who haven’t had heart attacks, according to a new study. Around 600,000 angioplasties are performed each year, of which roughly 70% are performed on heart attack victims. Those are fine, the study concludes, but of the remaining 30%, half... More »

Sir Paul Denies Heart Surgery

On website, former Beatle says ticker tests, not angioplasty, was the call

(Newser) - Sir Paul McCartney has publicly denied claims that he was hospitalized for heart surgery, NME reports. Earlier this month, the Sun reported that the legendary former Beatle had undergone a coronary angioplasty. But today, McCartney reassured fans and friends on his website that he had simply been tested for a... More »

Stents Show No Lasting Benefit In Heart Study

Better blood flow doesn't translate in to fewer heart attacks

(Newser) - Stents used to open arteries are no more useful than conventional drug treatment for patients who haven't yet had a heart attack, a new study reveals. In more than 2,000 patients over five years, those who had surgery suffered the same number of heart attacks, strokes, and deaths as... More »

3 Stories

AROUND THE WEB