Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Lt. Gen. James Mattis
Stories 21 - 40 |
Report: Trump Plans to
Pull Troops From Afghanistan
Dec 21, 2018 3:29 AM CST
Report: Trump Plans to Pull Troops From Afghanistan
Sources say this played a big role in Mattis resignation
- President Trump's Syria decision wasn't the only reason behind the abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, insiders say. The
New York Times
reports that defense officials say Trump has ordered the military to begin pulling 7,000 troops from Afghanistan, about half the current US forces there....
Mattis Stepping Down
as Defense Secretary
Dec 20, 2018 5:05 PM CST
Mattis Stepping Down as Defense Secretary
Resignation letter implies criticism of Trump's Syria decision
- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is stepping down from his post, President Trump announced Thursday, after the retired Marine general clashed with the president over a troop drawdown in Syria and Trump's go-it-alone stance in world affairs. Mattis, perhaps the most respected foreign policy official in Trump's administration, will...
Trump's Old Chief of Staff
Plans to Join the Military
Dec 15, 2018 5:40 PM CST
Trump's Old Chief of Staff Plans to Join the Military
Reince Priebus submits his application
- Reince Priebus is trying to join the US Navy. The former White House chief of staff—who resigned the post after six months —has a letter of recommendation from Defense Secretary James Mattis to help him become a reserve officer, the
reports. "Reince's experience, education,...
Pentagon Plans to Send
Hundreds of Troops to Border
Oct 25, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Pentagon Plans to Send Hundreds of Troops to Border
Defense chief Mattis expected to sign order as migrants approach
- President Trump on Thursday again declared the situation at the US-Mexico border a "national emergency" and promised to get the military involved. Now it appears the Pentagon is preparing to do just that. Defense chief James Mattis is expected to sign an order authorizing at least 800 troops to...
Trump Fires Back at
Sep 5, 2018 5:46 AM CDT
Trump Fires Back at 'Discredited' Woodward
He accuses journalist of being 'Dem operative'
- Bob Woodward might be feeling a sense of deja vu today: An angry Republican president is attacking his credibility and accusing him of being a Democratic operative. President Trump laid into Woodward in a series of tweets Tuesday night after the publication of explosive details from
Mattis: Risk of North Korean
Nuclear Attack Accelerating
Oct 28, 2017 10:54 AM CDT
Mattis: Risk of North Korean Nuclear Attack Accelerating
Pentagon chief accuses North Korea of 'outlaw' behavior
- The threat of nuclear missile attack by North Korea is accelerating, US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Saturday, accusing the North of illegal and unnecessary missile and nuclear programs and pledging to repel any strike, the AP reports. In remarks in Seoul with South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo at...
McCain May Turn to Subpoena
to Get Info on Niger Ambush
Oct 19, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
McCain May Turn to Subpoena to Get Info on Niger Ambush
Meanwhile, the Pentagon has sent team to Niger to investigate deadly attack
- The Pentagon has dispatched a team to Niger to figure out exactly what happened in an attack two weeks ago that left four US soldiers dead and two others injured, the
New York Daily News
reports. Despite the deadly attack happening Oct. 4, officials tell NBC News they still have...
Trump 'Calm Before the Storm'
Remark Causes Confusion
Oct 6, 2017 6:33 AM CDT
Trump 'Calm Before the Storm' Remark Causes Confusion
What does he mean? 'You'll find out'
- President Trump made an ominous remark after meeting with his top military commanders—and declined to explain what he was talking about. "You guys know what this represents?" Trump told reporters as he posed for a photo with First Lady Melania Trump, military officials, and their spouses before a...
Mattis Contradicts Trump
on Iran in Senate Hearing
Oct 4, 2017 1:35 AM CDT
Mattis Contradicts Trump on Iran in Senate Hearing
Says sticking with deal is in America's interest
- The deal with Iran that President Trump calls a "disaster" serves the interests of American national security and is "something that the president should consider staying with," Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says. Mattis contradicted Trump's position on the deal to restrict Iran's nuclear program after...
Seoul Responded to
Latest Pyongyang Launch
Sep 15, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
Seoul Responded to Latest Pyongyang Launch Within Minutes
Test shows Guam is now in range, experts say
- Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called for "direct actions" against North Korea from oil suppliers China and Russia after the country launched another missile over Japan early Friday. China and Russia "must indicate their intolerance for these reckless missile launches by taking direct actions of their own,"...
Fearing New ICBM Launch,
South Korea Turns Up Heat
Sep 4, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Fearing New ICBM Launch, South Korea Turns Up Heat
With activity around N. Korean launch sites, South simulates attack on Kim's nuke test site
- With activity around missile launch sites suggesting North Korea planned more missile tests, Jang Kyoung-soo, South Korea's acting deputy defense minister, warned parliament Monday that the North also could be planning to "fire an intercontinental ballistic missile." Seoul wasn't letting grass grow under its feet: South...
Mattis Warns of
'Massive' Response to
North Korean Threat
Sep 3, 2017 3:35 PM CDT
Mattis Warns of 'Massive' Response to North Korean Threat
Defense Secretary did not mince words on protection of US, allies
- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Sunday shot back at North Korea's latest nuclear provocation with a blunt threat, saying the US will answer any North Korean threat with a "massive military response — a response both effective and overwhelming." While he said America does not seek the...
Pentagon Panel to Consider
Trump's Transgender Ban
Aug 30, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Pentagon Panel to Consider Trump's Transgender Ban
Experts to weigh fate of transgender service members currently serving
- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is assembling a panel of experts to discuss the matter of openly transgender individuals already serving in the US military, the AP reports. President Trump last Friday directed the Pentagon to extend indefinitely a ban on transgender individuals joining the military, but he gave Mattis the...
Aug 22, 2017 5:31 AM CDT
Breitbart Slams Trump 'Flip-Flop' on Afghanistan
Generals talked Trump into changing mind
- In what some of his critics on the right saw as a decision as bad as looking at the eclipse without glasses , President Trump announced Monday night that he is going against his "original instinct" and reaffirming the US commitment in Afghanistan instead of pulling troops out. Trump had...
Top General Hints That Trump
Will Continue Afghan Support
Aug 20, 2017 4:58 PM CDT
Top General Hints That Trump Will Continue Afghan Support
'We are with you and we will stay with you'
- Signaling that the US military expects its mission to continue, the top US commander in Afghanistan on Sunday hailed the launch of the Afghan Army's new special operations corps, declaring that "we are with you and we will stay with you." Gen. John Nicholson's exhortation of...
Trump to Reveal New
Strategy in Afghan War
Aug 19, 2017 5:32 AM CDT
Trump to Reveal New Strategy in Afghan War
President is 'considering options' as Taliban gains ground
- President Trump is "studying and considering his options" for a new approach to Afghanistan and the broader South Asia region, the White House said Friday after the president huddled with his top national security aides at Camp David. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a brief statement...
Officer Speaks on
Jul 27, 2017 12:22 PM CDT
Top Military Officer Speaks on Transgender Ban
Gen. Joseph Dunford says no changes will be made to policy until Trump gives 'direction'
- The US military will continue to permit transgender individuals to serve openly until Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has received President Donald Trump's "direction" to change the policy and figured out how to implement it, America's top military officer said Thursday. In a memo to all military service...
How a High School
an Interview With
the Defense Secretary
Jul 10, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
How a High School Newspaper Scored an Interview With the Defense Secretary
Aide accidentally leaked his number, students took action
- You wouldn't expect to see an interview with the secretary of defense published in a high school newspaper, but there it is in the
, the paper published by Washington state's Mercer Island High School students. An aide to President Trump accidentally released Defense Secretary James Mattis' phone...
Syria, Iran, Russia Push
Back Against US Warning
Jun 27, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Syria, Iran, Russia Push Back Against US Warning
Syria says it isn't planning to use chemical weapons, which it says it doesn't have
- Late Monday, the White House took the unusual step of issuing a preemptive warning against Syria, which it claims is preparing to launch a chemical weapons attack. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the Trump administration is basing that assertion on evidence from the same air base that the US hit...
Pentagon Blew $28M on
Iffy Afghan Army Uniforms
Jun 21, 2017 1:02 PM CDT
Pentagon Blew $28M on Iffy Afghan Army Uniforms
Watchdog: US shelled out extra for 'forest' camo in land with almost no forest
- Just one week after defense chief James Mattis told a Senate panel the US is "not winning in Afghanistan," a new report reveals that the US wasted $28 million on the wrong kind of uniforms for Afghan army soldiers. In 2007, the Pentagon allowed the Afghan defense minister...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
For US Savings Accounts, Another Shift Is Unfolding
After Parade Shooting, 2 Jarring Comparisons
Police: Parade Shooting Was Planned Weeks in Advance
The City of Orlando's July 4 Message Didn't Land Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.