Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 32 |
Brain-Dead Teen's Family: Hospital Is Starving Her
Family say hospital 'hellbent' on ending Jahi's life
- The family of Jahi McMath , the California 13-year-old declared brain dead after tonsil surgery, is still desperately trying to find a doctor willing to operate on the daughter hospital officials refer to as a corpse. The McMath family has reached out on social media and elsewhere in their quest to...
Last Hope for Brain-Dead Teen: Facility Dedicated to Terri Schiavo?
Schiavo organization also helping Jahi McMath's family
- A brain-injury treatment center dedicated to Terri Schiavo is trying to help the family of Jahi McMath , the California teen left brain-dead after tonsil surgery. Allyson Scerri founded New Beginnings in Medford, New York, in 2011, and Schiavo's mother and brother took part in the ribbon-cutting when it opened....
Judge to Hospital: Keep Brain-Dead Teen Alive
Jahi McMath's family wants her moved to New York facility
- A judge today extended Jahi McMath's lifeline by ordering an Oakland hospital to keep her on breathing support until January 7 at 5pm, the
San Jose Mercury News
reports. The latest volley in the emotional battle over the brain-dead 13-year-old came as her family said another facility would accept...
2nd Facility Turns Down Brain-Dead Teen at 11th Hour
Children's Hospital Oakland confirms it will unplug her at 5pm
- The clock is ticking for Jahi McMath, with Children's Hospital Oakland yesterday confirming it will shut off her ventilator at 5pm today unless ordered otherwise, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. Her family continues to scramble to find a facility willing to take the brain-dead 13-year-old, after yesterday learning that...
Family of Brain-Dead Teen Finds Facility for Her
But surgery question still looms
- The family of 13-year-old Jahi McMath say they have found a nursing home willing to care for the girl, who was declared brain-dead after a tonsil operation. This time, though, they're keeping the name private after the first nursing home backed out amid heavy publicity, reports AP . If all...
Tonsil Surgery-Gone-Wrong Not Hospital's First
Rebecca Jimenez left severely brain damaged after similar surgery in 2011
- It turns out Jahi McMath isn't the first case of a tonsillectomy-gone-wrong at Children's Hospital Oakland. Two years ago, Rebecca Jimenez, then 8, went in for a similar tonsil surgery to treat her sleep apnea; now she can't walk or speak because of the severe brain damage...
Hospital Balks at Surgery for Brain-Dead Teen
Says it is not an 'appropriate' to operate on 'body of a deceased person'
- Jahi McMath's family has decided to indeed move her out of Children's Hospital Oakland and into an unnamed Bay Area nursing home, with her uncle saying "it looks like we may have found a miracle to keep Jahi alive and to give her another fighting chance to...
Brain-Dead Girl's Family Has Alternate to Unplugging Her
Outsiders have offered to help move her from Children's Hospital Oakland
- After a second, independent doctor testified that Jahi McMath is indeed brain-dead, a judge on Tuesday ruled that the California 13-year-old be taken off life support; the family has until 5pm Monday to appeal. No word yet on if they'll do so, but as the
San Francisco Chronicle
Judge: Life Support Can End for Brain-Dead Girl
But Jahi McMath's family has til Dec. 30 to appeal
- A California judge has joined with doctors in declaring 13-year-old Jahi McMath legally brain dead in a tonsillectomy gone horrifically wrong , and ordered that she be taken off life support. The main takeaway from today's ruling, as per the AP : Jahi's family has until 5pm on Monday to...
Family Wants Brain-Dead Teen Alive for Christmas
Jahi McMath's lawyer vows appeal if judge orders her removed from machine today
- An Oakland family whose 13-year-old daughter has been declared brain dead after experiencing complications following a tonsillectomy is hoping to celebrate Christmas with her at Children's Hospital after a judge ordered hospital officials to keep her connected to a breathing machine. As her family sat stone-faced in the front...
Family: Hospital Pushing Us to Unplug 13-Year-Old
Jahi McMath's family's lawyer in court today
- The lawyer for the family of a girl declared brain-dead after a routine tonsil surgery is heading to court today in an attempt to keep Jahi McMath on life-support. The Oakland Children's Hospital has been pressuring family members to take the 13-year-old off her ventilator—and "quickly"—...
Girl, 13, Brain-Dead After Routine Tonsil Surgery
Jahi McMath's family wants answers
- Before Jahi McMath went in for surgery to have her tonsils removed, the 13-year-old's mother assured the nervous girl everything would be OK. "I told her this surgery is to make you better," says mom Nailah Winkfield. But now Jahi is on life support even as her...
Stories 21 - 32 |
Popular on Newser
Months After Recovery, COVID Survivors Report an Oddity
Zooming From the Bathroom, in Hindsight, Was a Mistake
Spy Agency: Kim Is Taking 'Irrational' COVID Measures
Cops: Restaurant Owner Went to Extremes to Violate Lockdown
Utah Overpass Is a Wild Success
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.