Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Congratulates the
Wrong State After Super Bowl
Feb 3, 2020 12:30 AM CST
Trump Congratulates the Wrong State After Super Bowl
Former Missouri senator calls him a 'stone cold idiot'
- After the Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl on Sunday, President Trump offered hearty congratulations to the wrong state. "Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs on a great game, and a fantastic comeback, under immense pressure. You represented the Great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire...
on McCaskill for
Calling Her 'Thing'
Dec 30, 2018 10:01 AM CST
Ocasio-Cortez Throws Down on McCaskill for Calling Her 'Thing'
Freshman rep doesn't take kindly to outgoing lawmaker calling her a 'shiny object'
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez pulled no punches in responding to her latest critic, reports Fox News , who came from within her own party. Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat who was defeated in November, told CNN that she was "confused why she's the thing," adding that Ocasio-Cortez is a...
5 Dems Were Undecided on
Kavanaugh. Now There Are 4
Sep 20, 2018 6:56 AM CDT
5 Dems Were Undecided on Kavanaugh. Now There Are 4
Claire McCaskill is a no
- Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill is a "no" on Brett Kavanaugh. She's one of five Senate Democrats facing a challenging re-election bid who had been undecided on the Supreme Court nominee and is the first of that group to reveal her vote, reports the AP . Politico reports her decision...
GOP Declares Victory
in Tight Ohio Race
Aug 8, 2018 6:53 AM CDT
GOP Declares Victory in Tight Ohio Race
Trump congratulates Balderson on 'great victory'
- The year's last special election for a House seat was too close to call Tuesday night—but that didn't stop Republicans from declaring victory in an Ohio district they've held since 1983, the
reports. GOP state Sen. Troy Balderson was 1,754 votes ahead of...
Vulnerable Dem's Aide Told
to Change Password in Ruse
Jul 27, 2018 6:18 AM CDT
Vulnerable Dem's Aide Told to Change Password in Ruse
Sen. Claire McCaskill confirms Russian hacking attempt against her
- It's a dubious honor: The Daily Beast reports that Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill is the first known target of Russian meddling in advance of the 2018 elections, though its report says the GRU intelligence agency behind the attack isn't believed to have gotten very far. The Daily Beast,...
Giuliani, Christie: Trump's a
'Genius' for Not Paying Taxes
Oct 2, 2016 9:39 AM CDT
Giuliani, Christie: Trump's a 'Genius' for Not Paying Taxes
Candidate praised for tax savvy in wake of 'NYT' report he paid no taxes for 18 years
- Rudy Giuliani says Donald Trump is a "genius" if he avoided federal income taxes, responding to a
New York Times
report that the candidate claimed a nearly $1 billion loss in 1995 that would have eliminated his federal tax burden for up to 18 years , reports the AP . Giuliani...
I Have Breast Cancer
Feb 22, 2016 3:58 PM CST
Claire McCaskill: I Have Breast Cancer
Missouri senator says her prognosis is good
- Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill said Monday she has breast cancer and would remain in St. Louis for the next three weeks to receive treatment. She announced the news on Twitter , saying, "I very recently learned that I have breast cancer." The Democratic senator said in a Tumblr post...
Cops' Response in Ferguson
Aug 14, 2014 12:37 PM CDT
McCaskill: 'Demilitarize' Cops' Response in Ferguson
Obama calls for calm as Anonymous claims to ID officer
- The unrelenting protests in Ferguson, Mo., after the police shooting of Michael Brown clearly have the full attention of Washington now. Both President Obama and Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill weighed in today, while Anonymous claimed to ID the officer who did the shooting. Details:
Speaking at a local church,
2 in 5 Colleges
Jul 10, 2014 1:27 AM CDT
2 in 5 Colleges Just Ignoring Sexual Assaults
Senator's survey reveals major failings
- There are huge failings in how colleges and universities across America are dealing with sexual assault, according to a survey commissioned by Sen. Claire McCaskill. She says the most shocking figure is that 41% of schools haven't investigated a single alleged sexual assault in the last five years as...
Senators Blast Dr. Oz
for Bogus Diet Claims
Jun 18, 2014 2:32 AM CDT
Senators Blast Dr. Oz for Bogus Diet Claims
He defends right to use 'flowery' language
- Celebrity TV doctor Mehmet Oz stuck up for his right to use "flowery" language to praise weight loss products after a Senate panel slammed him for encouraging scammers by endorsing "miracle cures." Sen. Claire McAskill asked him why he "cheapened" his show by saying things he...
Bill for Military
Fails in Senate
Mar 6, 2014 5:06 PM CST
Gillibrand's Sex-Assault Bill for Military Fails in Senate
She hoped to remove authority from commanders
- New York Democrat Kirsten Gillibrand has lost her fight to dramatically change the way the Pentagon handles sex-assault cases, reports AP . For now, anyway. She needed 60 votes to overcome a filibuster but came up with only 55. And the
points out that this wasn't exactly a party-line...
Oct 2, 2013 9:09 AM CDT
Occupy DC: Vets Continue Shutdown Protests
WWII Memorial protest now in day 2, more being considered
- Well if America's youth won't protest the government shutdown , it looks like America's veterans will. After a group of vets stormed the barricades of DC's WWII memorial yesterday, more protests are in the works, reports Buzzfeed . More veterans groups will arrive at the memorial today, while...
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Sep 22, 2013 11:52 AM CDT
NRA: Navy Yard Lacked 'Good Guys With Guns'
Meanwhile, Manchin says he won't renew push for gun control
- The NRA's Wayne LaPierre is taking on renewed debate over gun control in wake of the Navy Yard shooting, telling NBC today that the "outrage" of "the elite media and the politicians trying to stir this toward firearms ... ought to be placed on an unprotected naval base....
2 More Dem Senators
Back Gay Marriage
Mar 26, 2013 5:19 AM CDT
2 More Dem Senators Back Gay Marriage
Warner, Rockefeller switch leaves only 11 in opposition
- Democrats' support for gay marriage appears to be gaining momentum ahead of two key Supreme Court cases this week . Sens. Mark Warner of Virginia and Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia have joined Missouri's Claire McCaskill in endorsing gay marriage, leaving just 11 Democrat senators still opposed,
Mar 25, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
Claire McCaskill Backs Gay Marriage
'History will agree with my children,' says Missouri Democrat
- The latest top politician to endorse gay marriage is Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, Politico reports. The swing-state Democrat offered up a statement yesterday on her Tumblr page: "I have come to the conclusion that our government should not limit the right to marry based on who you love,"...
and Scalia's Weird Hat
Jan 21, 2013 1:51 PM CST
Stars, Westboro, and Scalia's Weird Hat
Diminished (but still huge) crowd sees Beyonce, poetry, and those jerks from Westboro
- Roughly 600,000 people came out to watch President Obama's inauguration this year, which is a far cry from the 1.8 million who came out for his first one, but might nonetheless set a record for a second term inauguration. A look at what all those people saw:...
'Can't Be Serious'
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Dec 2, 2012 1:16 PM CST
Boehner Blasts White House: 'Can't Be Serious'
Geithner says no deal without tax hikes
- John Boehner is still grousing about the White House's opening bid in the fiscal cliff talks, lambasting it this morning as a "non-serious proposal" in a pre-taped interview with Fox News, picked up by Politico . "I was just flabbergasted. I looked at (Tim Geithner) and I said:...
How the GOP
Nov 19, 2012 11:45 AM CST
How the GOP Will Avoid Another Akin
Party seeks more local support for candidates
- Election 2012 was supposed to hand Republicans control of the Senate, but thanks to candidates like Todd Akin, things didn't work out according to plan. Now, the party is scrambling to realign itself for future victories. A key strategy: Go local. "We ought to make certain that if...
Democrats Keep Senate:
Warren, McCaskill Win
Nov 6, 2012 10:09 PM CST
Democrats Keep Senate: Warren, McCaskill Win
Tim Kaine, too; Democrats coast as Mourdock, Akin, McMahon lose
- Democrats had a banner night in the Senate, starting with Elizabeth Warren knocking off GOP incumbent Scott Brown in Massachusetts. Meanwhile, Tim Kaine beat George Allen in Virginia, and Chris Murphy did the same to Linda McMahon for Connecticut's open seat—despite her huge personal influx of cash . It...
Todd Akin Closes In
on Claire McCaskill
Oct 28, 2012 9:47 AM CDT
Todd Akin Closes In on Claire McCaskill
Missouri voters really don't like either candidate
- Todd Akin has dramatically cut into Claire McCaskill's lead in the hotly watched race for her Missouri Senate seat, reports the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch .
In a new poll commissioned by the paper, McCaskill holds a slim 45% lead among likely voters, with Akin polling just behind at 43%. Akin'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.