Roughly 600,000 people came out to watch President Obama's inauguration this year, which is a far cry from the 1.8 million who came out for his first one, but might nonetheless set a record for a second term inauguration. A look at what all those people saw:
- A whole lot of celebrities, including Katy Perry, John Mayer, Nick Cannon, Eva Longoria, Cyndi Lauper.
- James Taylor sang "America the Beautiful," Kelly Clarkson sang "My Country 'Tis of Thee" (the New York Post catches Bill Clinton photobombing her), and Beyoncé sang the national anthem—at one point, reportedly plagued by audio problems, Gawker notes that she ripped her earpiece out on the way to an impeccable performance.
- A poem by Cuban immigrant Richard Blanco, who is at once the first Hispanic, the first openly gay, and the youngest poet to ever give an inaugural poem, according to the Miami Herald. You can read the poem here.
- Sasha Obama yawning, a moment that has, sadly for her, already become a gif, Gawker reports.
- The Westboro Baptist Church making an obligatory protest appearance, and sporting more protest signs (featuring hip slogans such as " GOD H8S FAGS") than people (eight), according to Daily Intel.
- Antonin Scalia wearing what Claire McCaskill calls a "really weird hat." Various observers on Twitter opined that it made him look like "a renaissance era painter" or a "mad medieval monk." Maybe he was just jealous of all the attention Aretha got last time out?