President Obama’s poll numbers are faltering, but his summer reading choices are getting rave reviews, Politico reports. A survey of the Amazon.com standings of the five books the White House announced he would take with him on his Martha’s Vineyard vacation show a drastic improvement in sales. If you’re doubtful about joining Obama’s Book Club, look at these numbers and follow the pack:
- George Pelecanos, The Way Home: Ranked 33,349 on Amazon Monday, when the announcement came out. The next day: No. 328.
- Richard Price, The Lush Life: Up from 74,289 to 10,295.
- Thomas Friedman, Hot, Flat, and Crowded: 231 to 41.
- David McCullough, John Adams: 14,301 to 7,067.
- Kent Haruf, Plainsong: 8,155 to 189.
Take that, Oprah.