It's no surprise for a celebrity to own a fancy car or a huge mansion—but these 23 celebrities rounded up by Ranker kick it up a notch or two: They own private islands. A sampling:
- Johnny Depp: He owns a 45-acre island in the Caribbean, and seems to enjoy the privacy it affords him.
- Shakira: She and Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters reportedly bought an island north of the Bahamas in 2011 and are building a fancy resort there.
- Pamela Anderson: Tommy Lee reportedly bought an island off Dubai and gave it to her in 2007 in an attempt to win her back.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: He owns a 104-acre island off the coast of Belize and is building an "eco-conscious luxury resort" there set to open in 2018.
- Mel Gibson: He bought a volcanic island in Fiji in 2005, and it was once featured in a 30 Rock episode.
- John Lennon: He bought an Irish island that got nicknamed, predictably, "Beatles Island." Yoko Ono sold it after he died.
- Tyler Perry: He bought an island in the Bahamas in 2009 to celebrate his 40th birthday, and learned to fly so he could pilot his own plane there.
- Tim McGraw: He and Faith Hill built a 15,000-square-foot vacation home on the Bahamanian island they bought in 2006.
- Ricky Martin: He reportedly paid $8 million for an island off the coast of Brazil in 2008.
- David Copperfield: The magician actually owns 11 islands in the Bahamas, and has a resort there he's rented out to guests including Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates.
- Sir Richard Branson: The Virgin chief rents out his island, Necker Island, for $62,000 a day. He's owned it since 1978.
Click for the complete list
—including the star who taught Johnny Depp how to buy an island
. (Read more Johnny Depp