A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday on the remaining charges against former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. after a jury convicted him of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman but could not break a deadlock over two counts of rape involving a 54-year-old hitchhiker and an unconscious teen. Prosecutors did not immediately say whether they would retry the eight undecided charges but agreed to return to court Friday to discuss that option and possibly set a new trial date. Winslow, who played for Cleveland, Tampa Bay, New England, and the New York Jets, currently faces up to nine years in prison and must register as a sex offender, the AP reports. The jury on Monday found him guilty of an attack last year on the homeless woman in his picturesque beach community of Encinitas, north of San Diego.
Jurors also convicted him of two misdemeanors—indecent exposure and a lewd act in public—involving two other women. The 35-year-old former tight end could face up to life in prison if he is retried and convicted of raping all three women. After the San Diego County Superior Court sent the jury home Tuesday, prosecutor Dan Owens told reporters the majority of the 12 jurors believed Winslow was guilty of raping more than one woman. Winslow's attorneys indicated they want him to be sentenced after the case is retried and that they plan to appeal the convictions handed down Monday. The jury found him not guilty of one count of a lewd act. The jury of eight men and four women told the judge they were hopelessly deadlocked on the other eight charges after they deliberated for four days. All five women testified during the trial. Winslow did not take the stand.
(Read more Kellen Winslow